1) Give me a link for (insert title here).
2) Are you doing (insert next Sentai/KR series here)?
3) When will you release next episode of (insert currently running Sentai/KR series here)?
Hell if we know. We can't tell you an exact date or time because we honestly don't know when it'll be finished. First episodes always take longer!1
4) I'm waiting for the 720!
4.5) Why hasn't the 720 version of the episode been released yet?
Since we do all our encoding on one computer, we try to get the 1080 and the SD out first. 720 gets a lower priority when it comes to encoding so it is usually released sometime after the other two encodes, around 2-24 hours, depending on the encoder.2
5) Are you still doing (Megaranger/Timeranger/Cheeseranger/Kuuga/Agito/etc)?
6) When will the next episode of (older tokusatsu show) be released?
See answer to #3
7) Why do the older episodes take so long to come out?
Non-currently running shows are done on a rotating basis, meaning when the translator finishes one chunk of episodes (usually one DVD's worth), they then move onto a different series and translate another batch.
8) Are you doing (Insert Movie XYZ title here)?
We will do all movies related to currently airing tokusatsu series that we are subbing.
9) When will (Insert Movie XYZ title here) be released?
Please check this forum thread to see when it will be released on DVD/Blu-Ray.3 Then please refer to the answer to #3
10) Why is there commentary during this movie I downloaded?
Because your media player is old and can't play the format correctly. Especially Windows Media Player. We suggest Media Player Classic for all your viewing needs.4
11) Will you please sub (insert movie/series title here)?
12) Can I have the raw for (insert title here)?
Nope. We're a subbing group, not a raw group, we don't distribute those.
13) Can you give me a script or the font you use for (insert title here)?6
We don't give out either in order to prevent people from stealing our subs and bootleggers from selling them.
14) Can you seed this torrent?
Please make seeding requests on the forums.
15) Can you upload this episode to uptobox/megaupload/etc?
Check to see if it's uploaded here. Make sure to check the Submit Links section for new episodes.
16) Did you release (insert title here)?
You can see all our releases here.
17) What does (Japanese word) mean?
It means you should ask google.
18) Will you be doing the Toei Hero Next movies?
Ultimately we've decided not (with the single exception of Bounty Hunter Troupe) to because the main attraction of those movies is the actors from the current KR/SS shows. They have nothing to do with the actual shows themselves and basically are just another way to wring money from fans. If there's any good stand-out ones we'll do them but they're overall pretty bland movies quickly shat out to make the most of the actors while Toei's still got them under contract.
19) Will you do (Ultraman series/movie)?
We're definitely going to finish the series we've started but there's just not a lot of staff interest, unfortunately. If we end up doing anything, it'll take a long while, so don't hold your breath.
20) Can you teach me to subtitle like you?
There are plenty of tutorials online, all of us have learned from those or learned as we go. There's really nothing new we can teach you those tutorials can't. We use the program Aegisub to put subtitles in and VirtualDub to encode the video.
21) I disagree with your translation choices.
You're always welcome to discuss your opinion on the forums or in an email. We don't mind explaining our stylistic and linguistic choices for the shows we do and always listen to suggestions. If you tell us outright what you think where we can see your opinions, it's much more likely we'll act on them than if you post on some random message board that we don't check. Rational discussion is never punished, only trolling.
22) Ninninger totally stole their name from the Kakuranger theme song, didn't they?
Well, Shurikenger was already taken.
1. It usually takes around 3-5 days, more if it's a busy/holiday season. If it's before Sunday 7:30 Japan time then the episodes haven't aired yet. You can always check to see if we're up-to-date with our episodes by looking at our wiki and checking the chronology of the episodes. If it's the first episode of a new series, we will need a while longer to hammer out karaoke, effects, naming conventions, all that fun stuff that gets decided in the first episode and then (hopefully) we don't change the rest of the series.↩
2. 1080 we do to future-proof our releases so in 10 years they won't look totally horrible on your Super HD TV. SD we do as a concession to our viewers who do not have super-fast connections or have a limited amount of data they can download every month. 720 will eventually become unnecessary but for the moment we still release a 720 encode as a middle ground. Please realize that encoding three different types of the same video is really an extra chore for us. We'd much rather encode only 2 or preferably only 1 but we do 3 so you as the viewer have a choice of which resolution is best for you.↩
3. We cannot sub something without the physical media, it is literally impossible. Check the above link to see if it has been released yet. Keep in mind, you still have to factor in shipping from Japan to the US, which can take about a week. We're also juggling two to three weekly shows that have to be done first; movie comes second. Movies take anywhere from 1-2 months to release.↩
4. The movies usually come with several audio tracks, mono, stereo, better stereo, and commentary. Any decent media player will decide to play only one. Stupid ones will decide "Oh, I should play all of these at once!". WMP is particularly notorious for doing this. Please download a different media player. GOM, VLC and MPC are all very good and can play pretty much any video file with the right codecs. If you're worried about system resources, MPC is only 2 mb and works beautifully.↩
5. Subtitling a 25 minute episode takes at least 1 hour to time, 2 hours to translate, 1 hour to typeset and 10-20 hours for quality control and editing, resulting in about 15-25 man hours worked. Movies can be 25-100 man hours. Entire series are easily over 600 man hours. We can't take on new projects lightly without making sure we'll have enough people to work on it.↩
6. Pretty much all the fonts we use you can find online though so it doesn't stop you from searching for it.↩